Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Untilted #37

Why do artists have pieces of work that are untitled? An untitled symphony or painting or a poem. I don't understand. Does it elevate the artsy-fartsy element to the piece? Years later someone comments about the piece with, "This is from his Untitled period. He was resisting labels."

I resist labels and embrace them, depending on how good it sounds at the time. I accept the labels of child of God, husband and father. My job title I accept because it's temporary. The label of filmmaker I wrestle with. Sometimes I believe it and other times I don't. I'm a little like the guy in Katy Perry's "Hot and Cold". Up then down, wrong then right. And I was definitely wrong about my wife. Amidst my inactivity and uncertainty I forgot how much she supports me. I forgot how much she loves me and wants this for me. I forgot to believe in her and the marriage we have built.

Two weeks ago we were discussing where we would like to buy a house, Bay Area or LA. For years she has wanted to move down south in order to be closer to her family. I said no because it's LA. Well, after many visits, it's grown on me. And it is the home of the film industry. I was ready to make the move. I could enroll in a screenwriting course, tap into some contacts, and jump start my career. "The future looks bright. I gotta wear shades."

Buying a home here means we have to stay at least five years, a prerequisite of the down payment assistance. And while our friends and great food are here, the industry and her family are not. Surprise surprise, she wants to stay here. And, she wants to make a concerted effort to move me closer to my dreams.

It's game time!

3 comments:

  1. ILM, American Zoetrope and Pixar would all disagree with you!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting. Feedback is nice.

    When I say "industry" I'm referring to studios as well as the peripheral (e.g. prop houses, catering, casting). Thousands of people are employed within LA's film industry. The Bay Area is more of a microcosm.

    ReplyDelete