Monday, November 15, 2010

Do You Have A Tissue For My Daddy Issue?

The breaking into the film and television industry is just plain hard. You must work hard, put in long hours, and be creative, passionate, and relational. Good looks help, too. And still you might not make it.

Those chasing the dream have a day job to pay for the roof over their head and the cheese sandwich on their plate. Everything they do is for one goal: a career in Hollywood. And they're willing to sacrifice it all for that end. I, on the other hand, am a husband and father. I cannot leave those I love and the responsibilities that come with them to completely pursue my own dreams. Well, I could but then I'd be like my dad...

You see, my dad put his family second to his pursuits (think "Cats in the Cradle"). He would decide the direction the family would take and everyone was expected to follow. Many a summer I would fly out to see him, we'd spend that day together and the next he'd be on a plane for some meeting. And I get that it's exciting for him to pursue a new, cutting-edge business venture with hopes of a big return. He's worked hard to establish for himself a strong reputation as a businessman.

But as a father his reputation is one of failed promises, missed birthdays and no relationship with his kids. Am I willing to sacrifice these things to obtain a position as show runner for my own TV show? No.

So how do I get closer to the dream without sacrificing my family?

No answers. Only questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment